Friday, March 4, 2016

Snoopy and Scoby


SNOOPY:
I'm crocheting a little Snoopy for my daughter, Faith, who is playing Snoopy in a school play!  ;o)
http://bethsco.com/2011/12/snoopy.html#comment-6187
Free Pattern offered at BethsCo.com

SCOBY:
I finally received my scoby in the mail to make Kombucha!
I will post about this at a later date with a pictorial on how I made it and how it turned out.  :o)


SNOOPY:
I used the following free pattern:
http://bethsco.com/2011/12/snoopy.html#comment-6187
Makes a cute little "key chain" size Snoopy dog.

Materials:

KnitPicks Comfy Cotton yarn Sport weight
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Comfy_Sport_Yarn__D5420179.html
White
Black


Size D 3.25mm crochet hook
http://www.amazon.com/Boye-Aluminum-Crochet-Hook-Size/dp/B000QHIMK2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457027207&sr=8-4&keywords=size+D+crochet+hook

Steel Crochet Hook size: 2
http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Crochet-Hook--Size-2-25mm/dp/B000QHH1GI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457115428&sr=8-4&keywords=Steel+crochet+hook+size+2


Polyester Fiberfill
(they have available in smaller quantities)
(Obviously you only need a tiny bit and any kind will do fine)
Mountain-Mist-Fiberfill-3-Pounds/dp/B0016ZZ92W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457029619&sr=8-2&keywords=corn+fiber+fill

450 Quick Dry Glue (Adhesive) 
http://www.amazon.com/Helmar-Quick-Adhesive-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B005E9ZS4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457035333&sr=8-1&keywords=450+quick+dry+adhesive


Fray Check
(An old bottle of mine!  LOL!)
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-674-Liquid-Sealant-0-75-Ounce/dp/B0019KBWA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457112831&sr=8-2&keywords=Fray+Check

I take the cap that the Fray Check comes with off and make my own stopper with a bead glued onto a straight pin.  Quick and easy to use!



DMC size 3 Black (310) embroidery thread
http://www.amazon.com/DMC-115-3-310-Cotton-Thread/dp/B003W0FMOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457113478&sr=8-1&keywords=DMC+size+3+Black+Embroidery+thread 

DMC Red 116 Pearl Cotton Size 8
http://www.amazon.com/DMC-116-8-321-Cotton-Thread/dp/B0001DUSYE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457116935&sr=8-4&keywords=embroidery+thread+RED



Gauge isn't important in the project.  Yeah!!  LOL! :o)

Head:

Starts at the nose area in white.  
The nose and ears are made separate and sewn on.

I finished the head and put the eyes, Nose, and ears on by pushing a threaded needle through this hole in the back of the head. Can you see the black thread ends stuffed in the hole? Dot it with a drop (only one drop) of Fray Check to keep the knots tight.
(I took these pics after the head was sewn to the body...don't be confused. :o)

Now when I close the hole all the black thread is hidden in the head. Cool huh?
Dot it with a drop (only one drop) of Fray Check to keep the knots tight and cut yarn.

Done!


Body:

Using a contrasting color piece of yarn to keep track of the end/beginning of round.
I am doing it in continuous rounds.

As I get smaller an smaller at the end I begin stuffing and also I start crocheting only in the
  front loops only.
This helps to keep my hook from picking up stuffing as I crochet.




LUNCH BREAK:
Home-made Chicken Noodle-less soup with sausage.
YUMM!!!!  
I'm on a low carb diet....diabetes runs heavily in my family...Dad's side. 

Back to work!

First I use a bamboo skewer to push in a last little bit of stuffing.

Finished the body. 
I will attach the head at this point. 


I put a tiny tiny bit of 450 Quick Dry Adhesive in the hole of the top of the body and pushed the head
down on it in the position I wanted it to be in.

See how it stays on by itself...no pins.  :o)

Now I am sewing the head and the neck together:

The head is attached and Snoopy has a neck.
Dot the yarn/thread where it enters the item with a drop (only one drop) of Fray Check to keep the knots tight

Here is the start of an arm...I will make 2 of course.  

First arm....


Here are the two arms:


Now he just needs a tail....

Every time after I hide a yarn end I dot the spot where it enters the item with a drop of Fray Check to keep it from coming out.

Now all the ends are hidden:

He needs a black spot on his back near his tail.
I used size 3 DMC thread in black and the size 2 steel crochet hook to do this.
First Row: 5 sc in a Magic Ring
Next Row: 2sc in each sc around

ON THE SIDE THAT WILL FACE THE SNOOPY:
Put a dot of Fray Check in the middle after you have pulled the Magic Ring tight.
Then cut the yarn that COMES FROM THE CENTER MAGIC RING.


Now I sewed the spot onto my Snoopy with the other yarn end.


Here he is all DONE!  :o)

I am making him a scarf out of red yarn....I have seen his scarf in yellow also but I like the red.
Using Steel Crochet Hook size 2 and DMC RED 116 Pearl Cotton size 8
Row 1: chain 25.
Row 2: sc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain across.
Hide ends.
Put on Snoopy!  :o)

I think my daughter will like him!  :o)

1 comment:

  1. So CUTE! Oh my goodness. I think I already said how I tried to make one of these little crochet animals and couldn't even figure out the instructions. So cute, and I love Snoopy anyway.

    ReplyDelete